Existing members renew online by logging in to their member portals. New members click the APPLY NOW button located in the header and complete the online application form. If you are a lapsed member, wishing to re-activate your membership, please contact our office for assistance.
If you are a pre-service teacher and an education student in your final year of study, get in touch with STANSW about accessing the 'student membership offer' currently available. You must be pre-service to qualify for this membership grade and hold a current student ID; provided at the time of application. Please contact us for more information.
CONASTA - the national conference of the Australian Science Teachers Association is held every year, hosted rotationally in each state. To qualify for member rates at CONASTA, you must be a financial member of your state STA as at 28 Feb of the current calendar year.
Please be advised that the STANSW Membership period is per calendar year from January to December. Late applications, received after the 30 January of the current calendar year will not receive the National Journal, ASTA TSJ. The grace period for renewals is till the 28 February; by which time unpaid members will then become un-financial.
Online membership application / renewal period closes on 30 April. After this time no further applications for the current calendar year will be taken. Membership application/renewal period commences in October (for the forthcoming calendar year) through to the 28 February.
NB that you can apply for Student Membership at any time throughout the year. If you are a lapsed member, wishing to re-activate your membership, please contact the office.
For assistance, email us firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02) 9763 2751
All rates include 10% GST. ABN: 44 677 048 086
2017 categories and rates :
SEN Subscription (SO) $80 STANSW Science Education News e-Journal subscription: available for personal subscriptions and to serial libraries. This is not a membership grade.
Retiree Membership (SO) $52 receive the STANSW Science Education News e-Journal: retired individual members with voting rights.
Individual Membership (IM) $142 Individual Membership is the premium member grade. Individual Members enjoy their own copies of all state and national publications, as well as VIP benefits such as special giveaways promotions, ASTA programs, networking opportunities and greater discounts at events than any other member grade.
Lab Technician Membership (LT) $73 is an individual membership for Lab Technicians and is non-transferable.
Student Membership (SM) $0 is for full and part-time students/ pre-service teachers, studying either a Diploma/ Bachelor of Education/Teaching and not having previously taught in a school. This membership is recommended to science education students in their final year of study, looking to connect with mentoring and support services as they prepare to become a science teacher.
Are you a pre-service teacher? See the reasons why you should join your professional association - download flyer
Joint Membership (JM) $191 is an individual membership for you and your partner. Joint Members must have same residential address, and only receive one lot of publications.
Primary School Associate (PSA) $156 is for Primary Schools (K-6) all staff listed under the school membership can attend STANSW event at the member discount.
NB: K-12 Schools may choose to opt for SFA (if on the one campus), with the Preparatory/ Junior School choosing to have PSA separate to the Senior School.
Secondary Faculty Associate (SFA) $424 is for Secondary Schools 7-12 and only valid for one campus. All staff listed under the school membership can attend STANSW events at the member discount.
Corporate Membership (CM) $500 Corporate Members receive generous discounts for advertising in STANSW publications and as trade displayers at STANSW events. Corporate members include; DEC education/environmental centres, universities, local councils, museums, government organisations, publishers, lab equipment suppliers, small businesses and commercial vendors.
STANSW is a not-for-profit professional association for NSW teachers of science at primary, secondary and tertiary levels. STANSW is committed to providing state-wide, high quality and current professional information and development on key issues, ideas and methodologies in science education. STANSW promotes science education as a profession at a state level and, through its membership of the Australian Science Teachers’ Association, also at a national level.
For further details about Membership please see section 5 of the STANSW Constitution regarding membership rights and entitlements via the following link here
STANSW provides quality accredited professional learning events
• STANSW is an endorsed provider at the level of professional competence with the BOSTES
• Membership benefits include professional journals – use these for your count towards non-accredited professional reading
STANSW provides you with a voice
• Be heard by contacting local branch members or by attending branch meetings regularly
• Be heard at State level by contacting STANSW councilors or by becoming one yourself,
• Be heard at National level through your STANSW representatives on the council of the Australian Science Teachers’ Association (ASTA).
STANSW has access to State level agencies across all sectors
• The State Government on matters relating to Science education.
• The Professional Teachers Council of NSW - another way to access relevant State Government ministries
• State-based media contacts publicise our views on science education.
• Key Stake Holders in Science Education in NSW, including:
- The Department of Education and Training,
- The Catholic Education Commission,
- The Association of Independent Schools,
- The Universities,
BoSTES - Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standard
Membership Benefits Represent Value for Money - A premium individual membership costs $137.00 (incl 10% GST) per calendar year.
Membership benefits include: (if joining before Feb 28 of that membership year)
1. Four (4) e-copies of Science Education News – the professional journal of STANSW (digital)
2. Four (4) editions of Science Matters – the official newsletter of STANSW (print)
3. Four (4) editions of Teaching Science – the professional journal of ASTA; if joined by 31 Jan (rrp $100 p/a)
4. e-copy of National Science Week Resource Booklet
5. Discounted costs on all STANSW professional learning events
6. Access to the members only section of the STANSW website with a range of resources
7. Access to the STANSW Moodle, for access to previous copies of SEN Journal
8. Access to free resources where and when developed by STANSW and its associates
9. Promotions and events offered to members only
STANSW is your voice at the national level through the Australian Science Teachers’ Association (ASTA)
• ASTA represents science teacher interests to the Australian Government,
• ASTA is involved in the development of national, profession-developed Professional Standards for Highly Accomplished Teachers of Science,
• ASTA is providing feedback on the developing National Science Curriculum,
• ASTA is lobbying for adequate Science Support Staff,
• ASTA is lobbying for ongoing access to comprehensive professional learning opportunities for all teachers of Science.